Friday 22 February 2013

Sometimes we just don't know

   World, sometimes what seems like a huge dose of bad luck can actually be a reminder of just how bad things could have gone wrong.

   This morning I was on the highway going to work in my car. Traffic was rolling pretty well, I'd say about 65km/h.  Before I go any further, I have to confess, I was probably a little to close to the car in front of me, a little under the "two second" rule we've all learned.  So here we are, rolling along, when I see a what looks like a metal bar fly up from in front of the car ahead of me.  The bar rises up about 10 feet in the air, flies over the car ahead, and plunges down just in front of my front bumper.  *BANG*  I hear it hit the bumper, then thump it's way under the car.  I see the car behind me swerve, I assume he saw it come out from underneath my car.

   When I finally get to Old Montrea, I check the front of the car, and sure enough, my bumper and the rocker panel underneath are busted.  I started to get very pissed, because in 12 years, this is the second time it's happened to me along the same stretch of road.

   But the reason I am telling you this story World, is because if what a friend of mine here at work said.  As I am retelling him this story, his first reaction was: "Oh my God, can you imagine if you were on a motorcycle."  At that moment I sat back and thought: "No, I can't imagine what that would have been like on a motorcycle."  What would a metal bar, probably three feet in length, a couple of inches in diameter, do to a motorcyclist riding at 65km/h?  Even if it doesn't hit him, what kind of damage can it do to the bike and in turn him?  It's actually kind of frightening to think of what things might have been.  Even in a car, I realised that bar could have come through the wind shield and make thinsg a lot worse than a busted bumper.

   So, even though it's February, let's all keep safety in mind, sometimes you just don't know what will happen on the road, but riding defensively may just give you the extra second you need to make what could have been a serious accident, into just a small dose of back luck.

   Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment